Nozzle PTFE is a important component of the Nozzle. Even though its a tiny piece of plastic tube it plays a major role in your print quality.
The nozzle PTFE has following functions:
1.Avoids leakage of molten filament material.
2. The PTFE tubes internal cavity has extremely smooth surface which reduces the the chances of filament feed getting hindered.
Since the PTFE is subjected to high temperature from heater block you may have to replace it over time. This guide will walk you through the process of changing the PTFE nozzle PTFE.
Tools required for changing PTFE:
1. 2.5mm Allen Key
3. Heat proof gloves for safety.
4. Craft blade.
The Nozzle PTFE tube and the filament tube are different though they look similar. The inner diameter of the Nozzle PTFE tube is lower than the inner diameter of the filament PTFE tube. (Filament PTFE tube is the PTFE tube which guide the filament from filament sensor to
1. Heat the Nozzle upto 250° C
2. Loosen the Screw which is used to lock the Nozzle assembly in place. This will make the nozzle drop down from its place.
3. Take a m4*** hex screw driver and loosen the Nozzle. Grip the heater block firmly with a wrench and loosen the Nozzle using Hex driver. ( The nozzle assembly should be heated before removing the Nozzle. Loosening/ Tightening the Nozzle when it is cold may damage or result in performance issue of the Nozzle).
4. After the nozzle is removed, hold the heat sink firmly with a wrench and rotate the heated block with a plier. Be cautious to not damage the heater block. (If you are wearing heat resistant gloves hold the heatsink with a cotton cloth and rotate the heater block using a adjustable wrench)
5. Now remove the collet clip and press the black ring around the PTFE tube and pull the PTFE tube using a nose plier. Sometimes the PTFE tube may not come out easily incase it has been burn or has deformed due to heat. In that case you will have to apply a little extra force. But be careful to not damage other parts in process.
b) INSERTING NEW FILAMENT:
6. Take the new Nozzle PTFE and insert it into the heat sink. (keep rotating the FFC as you push it into the heat sink to allow smooth insertion of the PTFE tube). Nozzle PTFE length varies based on the printer. So please refer the chart below.
7. Trim the PTFE tube at the heat break.
8. Take a craft blade and debur/ make very slight chamfer in the inner surface on both ends of the
.Congratulations. You have successfully change the Nozzle PTFE.
9. Now reverse the steps 4,3,2 and 1.
a. Fix the heater block to the nozzle. (Do not forget to heat tight)
b. Fix the heater block assembly (with nozzle) to the heat sink.
c. Put collet clip. Yay, your nozzle assembly is ready.
Put the nozzle assembly into carriage block and tighten the screw.